Canada will spend just over $1 billion to host the World Cup this summer, the federal budget watchdog said Wednesday.
Toronto Today reports that the sum includes money from all levels of government. The federal government’s contribution is expected to be $473 million.
The $1.066 billion total averages to $82 million per game for the 13 games that will be played in Toronto and Vancouver.
The parliamentary budget officer says that’s roughly in line with what previous host countries spent. Canada is co-hosting this year’s tournament with the United States and Mexico.
In April, the federal government announced it would allocate up to $145 million for security at the World Cup, with the funds going toward resources for law enforcement agencies.
Public Safety Minister Gary Anandasangaree said at the time that welcoming World Cup crowds will require a massive coordinated effort, and that the international soccer tournament is one of the biggest and most complicated sporting events Canada has ever hosted.
Ottawa previously said it would allocate up to $320 million for hosting the tournament.
More than a hundred matches are scheduled to take place across all three countries between June 11 and July 19.
Most of the money will go toward hosting costs in the two cities. Vancouver will host seven games, and Toronto will host six.


